Skip to main content

My Easy Homemade Cough Syrup

About a year ago I made my own cough syrup for the first time. It was somewhat by accident, but it's probably the best accidental thing I've ever done. I had a ton of ginger my mom gave me, and it would go bad if I didn't use it soon! So I used that ginger, added some other ingredients and created my accidental cough syrup that has worked every time we have a cough. I don't like taking medicine, so this cough syrup turned out to be perfect for me because I made it with all natural ingredients and I MADE IT! Which I felt extremely proud of! Since this has worked so well for my family I figured I should share it in case it can also help someone out there! I also have a "cure all tea" I make every once in a while...but that's a recipe for another day. Without further ado, the recipe:


Homemade Cough Syrup

Ingredients:
2 cups Water
chopped fresh ginger (about a handful, but you can use more or less) 
10 oz Honey
2 tbs Turmeric (powder)

Directions

1- Put ginger and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil
2- After it starts to boil, let the liquid reduce to about 1 cup, turn off the heat and allow it to cool
3- Once the liquid has cooled, add the honey and turmeric to it and mix it all together
4- Put it in the container of your choice, and keep it in the fridge!


*This cough syrup is a bit spicy because of the ginger, but my 2 year drinks it without any complaining so it hasn't been a problem for us.
*I only started giving it to her after she turned 1 since it has honey in it, and she never got sick during her first year anyway.
*I usually give her and myself 2 teaspoons when we're sick, but you don't have to be sick to take take this! 

If you make your own cough syrup, have any questions, or any other ideas to add to this please share them in the comments! I'd love to hear your input or any improvements I can make in the future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luna's Birth Story

Luna is almost two, and although it seems "too late" to be writing her birth story, I figured it couldn't hurt. Hopefully she'll appreciate it when she's older and I'll be able to reflect on that experience before our new baby is born! Luna was due November 21st, 2014. The first time I started having contractions of any kind was on November 8th, while I was out with my husband at the Marine Corps Ball. It was funny because he was hoping she'd be born on Nov. 10th (on the Marine Corps birthday), but Luna had different plans. After that first day of contractions, they didn't come back until Thursday the 13th at around 10am. They started coming every 15-20min, nothing painful, just felt like very light cramps. It wasn't until Friday night around 8 when we were supposed to go rock climbing that my husband and I decided maybe we shouldn't.. That night I ate a big dinner (becuase I was told once I got to the hospital I wouldn't be able to

Why I Chose to Start a Blog

For a long time I've thought about writing a blog. For many different reasons, but the main one being I wanted to leave some sort of record for my kids. Although I keep a diary and I've kept other records, I feel as if this one may not only benefit my kids but others who may be struggling and are interested in what I have to say. My intentions for this blog is to use it to express my opinions about life, my beliefs, relationships, answer questions and share a variety of different interests that I have. I hope to share a little about my life in hopes that it may help someone out there in this big world (especially my kids). Some people may like and agree with what I have to say, but I certainly don't expect anyone to. It's a sad, mistaken and confused world we live in, and anyone has the freedom to believe in what they want.  I am big believer in "you find what you're looking for" so I strive to find the good in the world (although at times it seems

"I will walk with you"

During my husband's deployment it felt like everything was falling apart. Oddly enough, it felt as if things were falling in place too. As I prayed and asked God to guide me during the time my husband was gone, a simple phrase came into my mind.  "I will walk with you", I heard. I wrote it down on a piece of paper and taped it to my mirror so I could see it every day. "I will walk with you" has become a phrase that is close to my heart and I think of it often. When I get anxious, worried, and start isolating myself.  When my husband left on deployment, I was in the middle of nursing school and raising two little kids and found out we were expecting a third before he left. About a month after he left I got into a car accident while pregnant, but thankfully baby and I were okay. We were living with family at the time, but unexpectedly everyone moved out of state. I had my baby mid deployment and 2 days after birth he was admitted to the NICU for a rare heart condi